Monday, November 13, 2006

The Early Return Program

I went to work today on light duty. Since I have an injury, I can't perform my job as I'm supposed to be able to. I have lifting restrictions (I can't pick up anything heavier than a phone book) and driving restrictions (no driving emergency vehicles), and I can't treat patients or render care. So..... I'm doing clerical work. Today I spent almost 8 hours separating run forms, sorting them by date, unit number, and time, putting them back together (by color - the white ones are kept, any pink and yellow copies are shredded, and the gold copies go to the state EMS bureau for statistical purposes). I'll be doing this all week while I'm on light duty.

I'm sure by the looks of what I said it appears that I'm complaining. That, however, is not true. I learned something today: it's clear why there is so much importance attached to filling out the PCR forms properly. It's more than appropriate documentation of what was done during a call. There is also the demographic component, including correct insurance information. Of all of that, probably the most critical aspect of it is making sure that the authorizations (MD/PA/RN/NP signatures, patient signatures when they can be obtained) are done. If the information isn't there, insurers won't pay. There is the legal aspect of it as well; if documentation isn't done properly and there is legal action (i.e., a lawsuit by the patient or their representative), who's going to be the one that will be out in front of the attorney? The EMT or Paramedic who wrote the report. If you're not accurate, and you're not ready, you're going to get slammed. It's that simple.

Needless to say, it was a long and tiring day. However, I survived it. And I'll get to do it again tomorrow.

No comments: