Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Drugs are bad, m'kay?

The disruption continues..... It's just after 4:00AM. I am wide awake, and I shouldn't be. After I last posted here, I made good on going to bed, and when I got there I went right to sleep. Next thing I knew, I'm awake again. I shouldn't be for at least another 2 hours or so. At least this time I can't blame it on electricians.

I started some new medication over the weekend, and I think it might at least be partially responsible for my funky sleep pattern. I have Attention Defecit Disorder - it went undiagnosed for most of my life, and we figured out what was going on not long after my 40th birthday. My family had their suspicions long before that, but nobody said anything to me; I had to figure it out for myself. Turns out it was for good reason.... I'm a stubborn sort, and I probably wouldn't have listened to anyone, so it was just as well. Recently I had to go off of the medication I had been prescribed to treat it as it was causing some problems for me - most notably, it had stopped being effective. There were other things going on as well, but this was the biggest issue I was facing. So my doctor changed out the medication as of this past weekend - I am taking Strattera now, where before I was taking Concerta. The major difference is that Concerta is a time-released form of Ritalin, which is a CNS stimulant. Strattera, on the other hand, is what is known as a Selective Norephinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor, or an SNRI for short. It actually initially is having the opposite effect, where it has made me sleepy off and on. It has other side effects as well, the most prounounced for me is constant nausea. Maybe that's not a bad thing - perhaps I'll actually lose some weight :-) From what I've gathered, once there is a therapeutic level in my system the side effects will dissipate. I'll get back to you on that one.

Well, I got great sleep until just a few minutes ago. I'm going to head back and try to at least doze until the alarm clock goes off at 5:30. That gives me just under an hour and a half......

No comments: