Saturday, March 10, 2007

Back From A Pause

I know - it's been nearly two weeks since I wrote last. Like Ferris Bueller says (or something like it), "life moves pretty fast. If you don't move with it, you'll get your ass kicked." And that has been what's been going on with me: life has been kicking my ass. I took the week before off to spend some time with my kids during school vacation, and I ended up spending most of the week sleeping because I was wiped out and ill and didn't realize how bad it was until Wednesday when I got out of bed at 3:00PM and was back sleeping at 8:00PM. Terrible. I would have liked to actually do some things, but I couldn't get out of my own way. So I guess the sleep was necessary.

Something caught my attention today: the untimely death of Brad Delp, known for being the lead vocalist of Boston. He was a resident of Atkinson, one of the towns that sits between Salem and Exeter, about 45 minutes southeast of here. He was 55 years old - not old by any standard that I know of. Aside from the fact that he had a phenomenal singing voice, by all accounts he was a really nice guy. His voice was what is known as a "skyscraper voice" because he had incredibly high range. I remember the first time I ever heard the song "More Than A Feeling", and I was blown away by how high he could sing. I'm a baritone and I can't even scrape the bottom of his range. He also brought a lot of himself into his work, evidenced by some of the projects he was working on and things he did over the past 15 years, including the Beatles tribute band "Beatlejuice." Now they are impressive! Regardless of all of his success, however, was that people that knew him held him in very high esteem. I believe he will be missed by those he was close to.

The politicians are back. Hillary Clinton was in Concord today - her third trip to New Hampshire - campaining. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is out on whether or not she will be an effective candidate, and if elected, and effective President. I met her when her husband campaigned the first time in 1992. She was markedly different, as she had long hair and dressed way more casually than she does now (that's what the office will do for you, I suspect). I was impressed by her manner back then, very personable and friendly. Of course, she's had to harden her shell as time has gone on with everything she's endured, but she is intelligent and is very perceptive. I'm concerned that she would be too willing to reverse everything that is happening now in Iraq and Afghanistan more quickly than what should happen, however. It isn't that I don't want to see our troops come home - far from it, in fact - but things have to be done carefully or the United States as a nation could end up responsible for a situation much like the one that came about when we left Vietnam. And that is in no nation's best interest.

I am starting a new work schedule in April. My work hours will include a reverse 24-hour shift starting Sunday evening and ending Monday evening, a day shift on Thursday, and an overnight on Friday. It's a better schedule, even though I'll work two overnights. But I will get to spend more time with my family, and that means a lot.

Don't forget to advance your clocks an hour - Daylight Savings Time starts at 2:00AM tomorrow (Sunday, March 11), 3 weeks early. I just hope it doesn't mess up my computers......

No comments: