Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Independence Day


Happy 4th of July!


My wife came to work with me today - it was a live racing day at Rockingham Park, one of the places I work. I got off in Goffstown at 6:00 this morning and basically carried my day over to be there for 9:30. Post time isn't until 1:05, but there were qualifying heats this morning as there are every Wednesday morning for the duration of the meet.


Heats - kind of a funny word, considering this is Harness Racing we're talking about, not cars or thoroughbreds. But it's what they do, and it is interesting to watch. Around a 1 mile track in 2 minutes or slightly less, with an average time of 1:58 to as fast as 1:52. The horses either trot or "pace", which is the same rhythm but instead of opposing feet stepping, it's the feet on the same side stepping. Cantering is a break in stride, not allowed and cause for disqualification in some situations. I've been there for 4 years or racing, and it is always interesting. My wife used to work there as well as an Outrider - when they used outriders to control the horses, it was basically a rider who would manage the harnesses at the turns prior to post time. It is a hard job, but now that responsibility goes to the starter, and it has been that way over the past two seasons of racing.


It turned out to be a long, tiring day, considering I got a total of two hours of sleep in Goffstown last night. No calls, just difficulty settling down. I didn't like it very much.


This past week has been rather hectic overall, which has left me no time to write. I am precepting a Paramedic student on two of my three 911 shifts, and an EMT-Basic who needs field experience to get into Paramedic school for my third shift. Good guys, and they're getting what they need. It's been interesting to work with them; they both have varied experience, which is working out okay for me because I learn from them as well. I have them both until mid-August.


I need to shut down for a while. Until next time.

MM and Rob H. with Govenor John Lynch - not a bad shot

No comments: