Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Surviving Hallowe'en

Goffstown did Hallowe'en tonight from 6:00-8:00PM. It's always interesting to see the variety of costumes that both kids and adults come out in. We gave away a fair amount of candy and still have some left, and I suspect that I will be taking some with me tomorrow. At least I wouldn't be surprised.

After I got back Friday morning (at 3:30AM) I had a couple of days off. It was nice to have a little bit of chill time, and I got to spend some good quality time with my wife for a couple of days. My kids were here for the weekend, and I got to see them, too, which I really enjoyed. Overall, it was a really nice weekend, and I got to relax. For this past week, however, I've been doing my NH medic refresher, which is mandatory for me to renew my license, which is due to be done this coming March. My National Registry renewal is due at the same time, which is why I have to get this all done. Part of the reasoning behind having to do an additional refresher (besides all of the continuing education hours I have) is that New Hampshire subscribes to the National Registry standard, which basically means that if you are a Nationally Registered EMT of any skill level, you can get licensed in New Hampshire with very little difficulty and no cost. The only two caveats to that are that you have to be a member of an EMS agency in New Hampshire to get licensed, and you have to complete the National Registry's continuing education and refresher hours, which are 24 hours of con ed and a 48 hour refresher every two years for Paramedics. Fortunately, the hours I'll have to get for my CCEMT-P are also applicable to the National Registry, so I don't have to do that twice.

I am honestly looking forward to going back to work; it's been a very educational month, and I am ready to use what I've learned.

In addition, my wife had surgery yesterday. It was day surgery, and she is doing much better, but she is on pain medication and it is making her move very slowly. I'm doing everything I can to take good care of her, though, and I know she appreciates it. As for me, I'm going back to spend some time with her when I finish this entry. More later this week.


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: