Saturday, March 29, 2008

A Better Day

I am absolutely amazed at the difference 24 hours makes, in terms of weather. It's been a totally sunny day out, my driveway is nearly clear, and at 6:00PM it is still really quite light outside. Now if only the rest of this infernal snow would go away.....

Last night I worked with Jen, the author of Transitional Model. We had a really good shift. Five calls, nothing too terrible, and a little bit of sleep in parts. One of the calls we had was for this 51 year-old male who ingested, among other things, an unknown quantity of 70% Isopropyl Alcohol. Bad stuff - one of the things our mothers warn us not to drink, no matter how much it looks like water. He also drank mouthwash, a six-pack of beer, smoked some marijuana, and took two of his prescription Ativan before we arrived. He was wobbly, but he was coherent. As we got some history, it turned out that this wasn't too surprising; he had a pretty long history of substance abuse, and this wasn't the first time he's been down this path, at least according to his mother. He'd spent time in one of the area psych facilities to get dried out, and each time he'd been there that's the only thing that was done for him. No counseling, no treatment, nothing.

I felt bad for him; as much as I have trouble dealing with drunks, this was different. Mainly because his mother was sticking with him as much as possible, and I was pretty impressed with that. So we transported him to CMC, and as far as I know he was treated - I suspect he got watched pretty closely for changes to his condition. Plus, before we transported his mother brought out two empty 32-oz. bottles of rubbing alcohol that she believes were what he'd gotten into. One of them she'd managed to get away from him. The other, not so much. I'll have to follow up on this one.

When I got home this morning I was amazed at how clean our house was. My middle daughter went to town; she's always angling for spending money as she doesn't have a job yet, so she's been doing whatever is necessary to earn that all-important cash. As far as I'm concerned, I'd pay her to do it every week, if she were willing.

Not much more to write about right now - I'm just amazed that it's been as good a day as it's been here. More later.


No comments: