Saturday, March 15, 2008

Still Cross-Eyed

Well, I finally did it. I made myself sick.

As bad as I feel right now, I can't seem to settle down to go to sleep. I've been awake since 10:00AM yesterday (it is now just after 7:30PM), and I have managed to run myself into the ground, just from fatigue. I'm running a low-grade temperature, I'm shivering, and I feel like every one of my joints has been beaten. I'm supposed to go to Concord to work as an evaluator, but I won't be able to, considering how miserable I am.

I was up pretty much all night at work, payback for the easy Wednesday. We did 11 calls and had 16 patient contacts. Most of them were a waste of time, but a couple were rather ill individuals. One of them was a repeater, a 36 year-old male we saw twice in one hour, simply because the first time we were sent to him he refused transport. He has a history of a seizure disorder, and he had back-to-back seizures within one hour's time. The second one was more severe than the first, enough that I had to medicate him prior to transporting him to the hospital. He was a bit embarrassed about the whole thing, but we did what we could to reassure him that even though he was being stubborn it was understandable - he wanted to go to work today, and he was stressed about it. I think that set off the seizure activity in the first place.

We had another call earlier in the evening that was downright bizarre. A 47 year-old female who had been prescribed the drug Chantix for smoking cessation and taking it for approximately a month was dealing with one of the documented side effects: psychotic, violent behavior. She wanted to kill her mother, and when we showed up, she wanted to kill us. I was able to de-escalate her to a degree, but she would swing back and forth between remorse and rage. I've never seen anything like it. We transported her to CMC, and she ended up staying - I believe she was admitted to the Psychiatric Intensive Care unit, D200. I'm going to try to follow up early next week, health permitting.

Since I'm feeling rather like I got run over by a bulldozer, I'm going to attempt to continue this thread later on. More to follow.

No comments: