Wednesday, November 05, 2008

My Vote

Yesterday I promised to write about why I voted for Barack Obama. Here it is.

This is a challenge to talk about because I'm not sure where to start. First, however, I have to say that since I have been able to vote (I was first eligible in 1980 at the age of 18) I have voted for who I thought was always the best person for the job. In most cases, it was for Republican candidates - not because of their political party, but because the ideas that they have had have been consistent with the ideas I have had.

When we elected George W. Bush in 2000, he also initially had good ideas. I voted for him because I believed he would be able to lead our nation in a good direction. However, after September 11, things changed. The things that he directed our military to do, with respect to Iraq at least, weren't necessarily the best things we could have done. As a result, no matter how the mission is going over there, men and women have died that shouldn't have. The same goes for Afghanistan, and it's slightly worse there because the effort we've put in to support the troops on the ground has actually decreased. That is huge.

Take that together with the economic disaster we're in, and it has been a recipe for catastrophe for us as Americans.

Now, on to why I voted for Barack Obama:

1. First, while I have the utmost respect for George W. Bush the man, I feel he's failed as President. He has been ineffective for quite some time, and I am afraid that John McCain would continue down the path of ineffectiveness that Mr. Bush has traveled. Look at his voting record; that in itself provided me with my reasoning on this.

2. I've said this before, and I will repeat myself on it: Sarah Palin is not qualified to be President of the United States in the event of John McCain's death. I'm sorry I feel that way, and perhaps in 4 years that won't be the case. But it is now, and I am extremely uncomfortable with the thought of having someone in her position that close to the football.

This is probably the biggest reason I chose not to vote for John McCain.

3. I am not convinced, with respect to the problems we are having within the nation itself (the economy, energy, healthcare, etc.) that John McCain's views are in step with that of most of the nation. And that's a problem, because if he were to be elected, he most certainly would have a fight on his hands, at least as far as fixing some of the domestic problems we face.

I guess my bottom line is that I voted for Barack Obama because I see him dealing effectively with domestic problems. I truly believe that.

As far as the two-front war we are in, that could go either way with him, and I'll admit I'm uncomfortable about it. But I believe if, as a country, we can't get our own house in order, what business do we have of trying to clean someone else's? That has been my position with respect to our involvement in the Middle East and Central Asia all along anyway. I do hope, though, that he does the right thing over there and allows us to finish the mission, no matter how screwed up the original idea of us being there was.

In a nutshell, this was why I voted the way I did. Everyone has their view, and I know most are not the same as mine. Comments are welcome.

5 comments:

Laura said...

No matter what has transpired, we have a President, who we are obligated to pray for and stand behind. So we go forward in full support to work out many, problems. Hats off to him, it will be the job of his life.

Medic(three) said...

It is unbelievable how often we are faced with the battle of who is the least terrifying, rather than who is the most qualified.

Too often in politics there are too few good men.

Unknown said...

Both of you are right - indeed, I hope he is up for what is in store for him.

As for "good" politicians, I have never, ever encountered one. Except for maybe Ronald Reagan. And either he was a really, really good actor or he was a good human being. In his case I opt for the latter.

+Metropolitan SAVAS of Pittsburgh said...

Just getting around to familiarizing myself with your excellent blog! I appreciate the attention you've given mine. I also appreciate the clarity with which you expressed your reasons for voting as you did. If I had had a cooler head that day, I would have said much the same. Of course, now comes the time for the heavy lifting. May God direct his footsteps and give him the strength to bear the burden of leadership in the difficult days that undoubtably await us all.

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree with you more, my friend.