Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Rest In Peace, Mop

It was a term of endearment.

Her children called her "Mop", and her grandchildren modified that to "Mop Grammie." The in-law (and outlaw) children and numerous others who knew her also called her "Mop" - many people only knew her by that title, and I'm sure most of those who were friends of her children didn't know her real name. At least I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case....

Her name, however, was not Mop. It was Martha Colburn. She was 83 years of age. She was the mother of my ex-wife and the grandmother of my children, Jon and Nancy. And regardless of anything else, she was a fine human being who (I hope) lived a full and good life.

I had the privilege of knowing her for close to 30 years, although I hadn't seen her for quite some time. She'd been in declining health; she was a diabetic, plus she had been diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia a number of years ago. I'm sure some of these issues were contributory to her decline.

She was a retired school teacher; she taught at the Belmont Elementary School in Belmont, NH, prior to her retirement just about 20 years ago. She was loved by her students and respected by her colleagues. She was the mother of 6 and the grandmother of I don't know how many - I believe 11, but I can't be certain of that.

Martie was a fine, decent human being - probably one of the finest I've ever encountered. She will be missed by her family and all who knew her and called her "Friend."

Martha A. Colburn
1925-2009

Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord
And let perpetual light shine upon her.
May she rest in peace.
Amen.

1 comment:

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

May your memories of her always be a blessing and a comfort to you.