Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Surgery Number Two

It’s going to happen.

I saw the plastic surgeon yesterday. I’m pretty sure I’ve written about Dr. Driscoll already – he’s the surgeon Dr. Farooqi referred to. Very personable man. He asked me who I work for, and when I told him, his face lit up. At one point, he said, “I didn’t know Cataldo had double-medic trucks. When I dealt with them regularly in the late ‘90’s it was all BLS with only a few ALS units on the road.” All I could say was that times change….

Anyway, of all the options I have, grafting is not only the most conventional and most conservative, but it’s also the one most likely to work. It is an in-patient procedure (I’ll be there for 24-48 hours after it’s done) and it doesn’t take long, but the recovery time will add another six weeks to what I’ve already been through. The first two weeks of that will be spent in a rehab facility, not because I would have to do anything, but the site requires 24-hour care and I won’t be allowed to walk on it or be vertical in any way. I’d be risking doing damage if I went home and did something stupid, like stand on it. The positive thing about that, though, is that once I’m cleared with no restrictions by Dr. Driscoll (which should happen at the six week mark) I will be able to go back to work.

A date has not been set yet. I am waiting to hear from his office on that.

This Thursday I have an appointment with Dr. Goumas, the Orthopedic surgeon. My PT has been going really well, and while I still have a couple of strength issues to deal with for the most part I am in good shape. I expect that he will discharge me at that time. At least I hope he does.

There will be more to follow on the timing of when the surgery is going to be done. I will write about it once I know.

2 comments:

Karen Brook said...

GREAT news! I rejoice with you, Walt. It has been a long time coming :-) Marvelous...just marvelous!You (and the surgeon/team) will be in our prayers!

Michael Morse said...

It would appear to the casual reader that everything is falling into place for you. The "Journey Home" was a perfect prelude to the next leg of your journey. Good luck with the surgury and stay strong.