Thursday, April 16, 2009

Endurance

If I haven’t said it before, being stuck on this bed is old. Really, really old.

My brain is starting to turn into something akin to mush. I have no desire to do anything productive or constructive, so I’m watching a “mind candy” movie – Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins. I’ve seen it a number of times and I always regret it afterward. Sort of like driving by a multi-car accident: you don’t want to look as you pass, but you can’t help it. The novels – a form of “pulp fiction” – are the same way. Bad for you and addictive. I read a number of them when I was much younger, and they were extremely distracting at the time. I’m sure they are the same way now.

Sleep was tough last night. For some reason I couldn’t get comfortable, and I had an especially difficult time keeping my left foot in a place where it would stay out of trouble. Bad enough that as I write this it is nearly 11:00AM and I have been awake since 5:30. And the hospital bed (that I’ve been referring to as a “Barca bed”) is less comfortable each day I’m in it. I keep sliding down towards the foot – that especially is driving me crazy.

I just have to remind myself that I’m stuck here for only 5 more days. And watch Remo Williams go after the bad guys. With Chiun. And maybe I’ll be driven to sleep…

3 comments:

TOTWTYTR said...

It must be something about the material that they make the mattress covers from. My mother had the exact complaint about sliding down last week.

There has to be a better way to build a hospital bed. Use your time to take notes and when you're better you can design it. The you'll be rich and won't have to work in EMS any longer.

Stay with it, you'll be up and around before you know it.

Pete said...

Get the Godfather trilogy and a few season's of the Soprano's...great acting and senseless violence will give you the jolt of endurance you need.

Unknown said...

I figured out that if I raised the lower half of the bed slightly it helps keep me in place. Better than nothing, I suppose. We also re-wrapped my leg around the vac dressing - my ankle hasn't looked this good for a very long time.

Godfather trilogy? Beat you to it. Watched it Tuesday. Also watched "The Blues Brothers" for the 50-11th time. I don't have any of "The Sopranos" but that's a good recommendation. I'm catching up with season 2 of "The Tudors" right now. I highly recommend it.