Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Now – The Wait

I had my last PT session this morning.

It went really well. I have virtually all of my range of motion back, my swelling is staying down consistently, and my ankle strength has returned. The only consistent problem I have is a little bit of loss of flexibility to the outside of my ankle. That’s actually pretty normal; I have had trouble with the lateral ligaments of my ankle in the past, mostly from twisting it inward, either from running or from playing basketball. So I really wasn’t surprised to discover that was still going on. But it isn’t bad, and it shouldn’t stop me from being allowed to return to work. At least I don’t expect it to.

Tomorrow I will see the orthopedic surgeon, hopefully for the last time. And I’ll ask him to write return-to-work orders for me. When he does that, I’ll have to give copies of them to everyone I work for. Not a big deal; I can do it during the day after I get it done. However, I suspect it will require a lot of driving over a relatively short period of time.

So what?

I have been in the gym just about every day since I got the green light to work out. Hard as it’s been, it really has helped. I will continue to work out, mainly because I feel awesome as a result. Sure, I’ve got some sore muscles, but I can live with those; the lactic acid will find its way out over the next couple of weeks, and once that happens I’ll be good to go and I can continue building on what I started. Probably the part of my body that needs the most attention is my left quadriceps as it is a bit of a weak point. I’ve been doing both forward and reverse leg curls when I’ve been working out, and the place I feel it most is in the reverse. That is as it should be, I think, just because I’ve had to deal with atrophy in my left leg all along. It went all the way into my hip, which I had trouble with. My gait was affected, and it showed because I walked like I had a peg leg and a parrot on my shoulder... At least I didn’t have the eye patch to go with it, though. That would have been funny.

Other than that – not a lot to write about right now. I am in a holding pattern until tomorrow.

Nancy, my daughter, is performing in the Majestic Theatre Trust’s production of “Les Miserables” tomorrow through Sunday. She doesn’t have a lead role, but that suited her fine, I think. But just the same, I think it’s a wonderful opportunity for her. Jon, my son, has also acted in productions at the Majestic. Last spring, he was in their production of “Big”, and he told me later that it was one of the best acting experiences he’d had to date. Plus, he’s interested in doing things out in Keene when he’s out there. He’s been involved with some activities on campus – mainly as a member of the college chorale. Both of them have excellent singing voices, and I hope as time goes on they pursue what they like more.

In any event, the clock is ticking. Loudly...


Karen Brook Westhaver said...

Walt, at the facility where you work out, is there an opportunity afterward for a sauna or steam and then shower? Don't know if there's any issues ruling these out for you if they're available, but they do wonders at helping the lactic acid work its way out of your system much faster with far less stiffness/aching later on. Just thought I'd mention it in case it was a possibility :-)

Elizabeth said...

Glad to hear that your recovery is going so well, Walt !