Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Change Of Temperature

It is supposed to be October weather, but it feels like November all of a sudden. The temperatures dropped – early this morning when I got out of work in Goffstown, I went out to start my car and discovered a layer of frost on my windshield and the other windows.

Surprised? Not especially, but I wish it would have waited maybe a couple of more weeks.

At this time last year I was laid up, in a boot, awaiting a surgery date. And it wasn’t as chilly outside as it is now. I do remember that quite well, and I have no desire to consider returning there. And the events of a year ago have been on my mind over the past couple of weeks; I have to say that I was pretty lucky to not have been injured worse than I was. With that in mind, I am ever so careful of where I put my feet these days. There is no way I want a repeat of that situation.

In two weeks I have an appointment with one of the people from the Nursing school at UNH. I’m looking forward to it only because I have a lot of questions I want answered. I’m especially looking for answers to questions about clinical time, the research aspect of the program (something I’m actually really interested in, surprisingly), and how the 2-year and 3-year options are different. Just looking at the program description tells me it is a bit more spread out, and I’m not sure how that works with respect to tuition payments. I’m in the process of putting a list of all of these questions together, and I’m hoping I can get it all sorted out fairly soon. At least I’ll have a better idea of what to expect, and I have little doubt that it will be more challenging that Paramedic school was, simply because of the environment as well as the direction the program will likely go in. Then there is the question of what to do with it when I’m done; ideally I’d like to work in critical care or emergency medicine, but whether that is in the cards for me or not is a big unknown.

We’ll see if I get what I want down the road. But right now there is no telling.

As I write this I’m in the first aid office at the Rockingham Park grandstand. I have an exam Friday night that I should continue studying for – I’ve been poring over the material over the past 3 days and I don’t feel like any of it is sticking. Cells and the Integumentary system, commonly the skin, hair, and nails. Trying to make distinctions between different types of cells under a microscope is a challenge at best, and having to memorize the layers and all of the structures that underlie the skin surface is a workout. But I’m getting there.

If nothing else, taking Anatomy and Physiology will be a great fill-in of the details I didn’t get when I was in Paramedic school. As it was, we had the rudimentary stuff slammed down our throats in short order, and while I got the major parts of the organ systems, this has been a real exercise in getting all of the parts that I didn’t get before. So, to that end it will have been worth the work put in by the end of the spring semester. And I’m trying to decide whether or not to take Microbiology in the spring along with A&P part II. Plus, I need to find out whether or not I will have to take a statistics course; I did take it as an undergraduate and did reasonably well, but that was almost 17 years ago; I don’t know if I’ll be required to do it again or not. I’ll find that out in a couple of weeks.

I still don’t have any really good calls to talk about; I suppose that’s one of the things you give up when you spend most of your time working on a transfer truck. But maybe something will present itself that would be worth talking about.

2 comments:

TOTWTYTR said...

Cold, raw, rainy, there was snow to the west of Boston yesterday. Add a crappy spring and almost absent summer and it's all so depressing.

At least the craptastic weather is keeping a lot of our usual clientele inside for a change.

Unknown said...

I drove through 3 different snow squalls this morning traveling north on I-93: near Roosevelt Circle, just past the Minuteman exit in Andover, and at the NH state line. I wasn't happy. But you're right - the regulars at least stayed in, although yesterday was kinda busy for us. More later.