Tuesday, October 06, 2009

More Color

I had a little bit of time yesterday afternoon, so I paid a visit to the Veterans’ Cemetery in Boscawen, NH, just west of Concord. Had a little bit of personal business that took me up that way, so I stopped on my way back to Manchester. I’d never been there, and I had been told that it was worth a visit. And it was – I was there for about a half-hour, just walking around. It isn’t very big; I’d say right now it is maybe 10 acres, and there is a lot of open space. That makes sense, I suppose, as New Hampshire is a small state. But it truly is beautiful to walk through. Plus we still have good color here, which is why I took these photos. It’s actually starting to pop more, as you can see in the photos posted below. In addition to grave markers, there are columbariums everywhere. I counted 40 of them, each holding between 20 and 30 urns. And there are a number that are empty.

I saw only a few people while I was walking around, and I don’t know where any of the staff was. And I wasn’t the only one walking. There were maybe 4 of us total, and it was nice to just enjoy the quiet.

Sometimes we need that.

IMG00085 IMG00080 IMG00081 IMG00082 IMG00083 IMG00084

3 comments:

Karen Brook said...

"...it was nice to just enjoy the quiet. Sometimes we need that." Indeed! Thanks for posting such peaceful pictures, Walt. Nice post. Glad you got to visit this place. I've enjoyed walking there, too. PJ will be doing a funeral there on Friday. Much meaning at this place, and a special kind of peace. And the quiet is of a very deep kind. A great reminder to take a little time to spend wrapped in that kind of peace.

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

What a beautiful setting for a cemetery !

Susie Hemingway said...

Such lovely photos taken in the Autumn sunshine a very peaceful resting place. Nice to take time to stand and reflect. Thank you Walt for showing us this special place.