Thursday, November 05, 2009

Air Crack

I didn’t expect to be sore like I am – lower back, hips, shoulders… All sore. And it’s not from being sick (at least it better not be); I went indoor skydiving yesterday and I am still high from the experience.

It is described as “air crack”, hence the title of the post. And I can truly understand why. Being inside of a tunnel 10 feet in diameter that is approximately 70-80 feet high with winds blowing up from under you at about 200 miles per hour… It is loud, but you’re wearing a jumpsuit, knee and elbow pads, hearing protection, and a helmet. And you have an instructor with you.

It is incredibly safe. And it is also incredibly exhilarating.

I went with my friend Dave. He and I grew up together and were friends as kids. He and his wife live just outside of Halifax, Nova Scotia, and he comes down here once a year to visit with his family and friends. I’ve written about him here before; considering how long we’ve known each other I could probably write volumes, but I’ll try to keep it simple.

One thing I need to mention about doing this: there are weight limits, but apparently they are relative. Their upper limit that they list is 250 lbs., but I’m a little heavier than that. However, what I have in body mass is more than made up for in height, plus the mass I carry is rather solid. Because of that the instructor was okay with my being there, and I had no trouble getting aloft.

I will post video as soon as I work out some technical glitches on this laptop of mine. It’s only about 6 minutes or so in length, but the perspective gives a really good look at the inside of the tunnel.

The next time I go (and yes, there will definitely be a next time) I am bringing Martha with me. I think she’ll appreciate it as much as I did.

Thanks, Dave – at least it’s a clean addiction…

2 comments:

Rogue Medic said...

Sounds like a lot of fun and a good way to burn some extra calories. As a downside, I suspect that there is a bit of wallet burn, too.

What does it cost, for how long, and what rental gear is involved?

Unknown said...

Definitely there is wallet burn...

I think for both of us to be in the tunnel for 3 minutes each the cost was around $140.00. That said, it was like doing 3 skydives in a day as each minute was the equivalent of one dive. And I don't know what a real skydive costs...

Where we went, the cost included a jumpsuit and safety gear (helmet, elbow and knee pads) and a ground class. We were there for about 2 hours. Definitely something I would do again.