Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Spies Among Us?

This has been actively reported in the news media for a couple of days now.

Ten people – including two living in Cambridge, Massachusetts – have been arrested. In addition to these, there were arrests in New York and New Jersey, Seattle, and in the Washington, DC area. One is still being looked for.

The way that this has shaken out so far makes it look like something that was happening during the Cold War. I thought we were beyond this sort of thing. What is most amazing to me, just from reading some of the media coverage, is that the way they supposedly carried out their operation was done in an “old school” sort of way. At least for the most part; there was mention of some use of computing and wireless communication used at a meet. I don’t know how accurate or reliable the reporting is, but if they did do things using standard fieldcraft, that says to me the old ways still work.

The timing of this set of arrests is pretty interesting also. Considering that Obama recently met with President Medvedev (and they ate burgers together – I hope the Russian President liked what he had) and our President pronounced him to be “solid”, I’m thinking that there is something just hokey about it.

Whether or not anything happens further, at least in terms of news reporting, remains to be seen. I for one plan to be watching this. And I may opine more based on what may happen.

I think it’s going to be interesting to follow.

1 comment:

TOTWTYTR said...

Just because Russia is no longer a communist nation, does not mean that it is our ally or even neutral towards us.

The Russians have a long history of feigning friendship before attacking their so called allies. The Germans just got to it first in 1941, Stalin would have done it sooner or later.

No doubt President Feckless was taken by surprise that our Russian buddies would actually spy on us.

Oh, the Magistrate released the first one on bail a couple of days ago. He promptly fled to Cyprus. I guess I'm the only one that's surprised that agents of a foreign nation would flee the country when caught spying.