Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Summer

We finally have some weather worth talking about. Sunny skies, temps in the 80's... It doesn't get much better than that. And a holiday weekend that is imminent.

I'm writing this from the Barnes and Noble in Manchester, and I'm doing this purely because I'm procrastinating; I have an errand at this end of the city that needs to be done, I finished up another session of physical therapy about an hour ago (a story for another post; maybe the next one), and I desperately needed a strong cup of coffee. Much as I'm not fond of Starbuck's, it is about as strong as it gets around here. If I were in Canada I'd go to a Tim Horton's and get some of their high-test brew. It is very good plus it will cause hair to grow in all the wrong places...

This morning (early - approximately 2:30AM) we were dispatched to meet police for a checkup of a subject. We arrived on scene to find them with an approximately 35 year-old male standing in front of his car. He had apparently stopped on the side of the road to relieve himself (turned out he was somewhat impaired - a surprise? I think not) and fell headlong into the woods.

When we got to him his fly was undone, he was behaving rather belligerently, and he informed us all (me, my partner, and the two police officers) that he was a black belt martial artist. As soon as he told us this he decided it would be a good time to put on a show. He tried to go into a combat stance but the cops immediately took him down,cuffed him, and put him in the cruiser.

My partner and I observed all of this and decided it would be a good idea if we went to the  booking area to get a better look at him. When we arrived we found him seated in the booking area, still handcuffed, giving the officers present awful attitude. As soon as he saw us, we became the object of the same diatribe.

I have to be honest: I thought it was pretty funny, especially in light of being told earlier in the tour by a sick elderly gentleman we transported to "shut up" when I was explaining what we were doing. That was also amusing, but at least he had an excuse. This guy was just being really stupid.

So he kept at it, threatening to kill the officers as well as us if the handcuffs weren't removed. It's needless to say that he was kept restrained.

Yet another example of alcohol-fueled stupidity. Other than the relative entertainment value and his being unwilling to let us properly check him for injuries, it was the last call in what was another event-filled tour on my hometown. We had three others earlier, and they were all legitimately sick or injured.

This guy was just a knucklehead.

No comments: