Thursday, November 10, 2011

Kids Victimized – Again!

I’m sure by now many of you are aware of the events at Penn State. When I heard and saw the news reporting, I was sickened. It brought me back to a couple of different places, namely all of the stuff that surrounded (and continues to follow) the sex abuse scandal within the Catholic Church, and the personal trials I went through when I was young. 

The reports surrounding the arrest of Jerry Sandusky get worse – allegedly, according to some of the press reports, he was pimping out some of these kids. Joe Paterno was fired – he blew it. As far as I’m concerned, it was appropriate at the very least. The firing of the president of the university was also appropriate in my view.

In a press conference held last night some really callous reporter asked who would be coaching for this Saturday’s game. I couldn’t believe that when I heard it as it made me incredibly angry that someone would have the gall to ask that question.

Even so, I have to remind myself that nobody has been convicted of anything yet. Just the same, terrible things happened, and I’m no less angry about any of it. And I have to wonder about something: has anyone given any thought about the kids? I haven’t seen anything in the press coverage giving any service to whether or not victims have been considered. Is that going to happen? From what I can see, it is anyone’s guess.

No comments: