Sunday, March 11, 2012

Spring Break (?)

This past week consisted of a Biochemistry mid-term exam, the end of the hybrid Diseases class, and the start of the next unit in Biology. I also need to write a letter to the chief of the PA service at the hospital Martha works at requesting a shadowing rotation. The upcoming week also is spring break, and I believe a bunch of the younger students I know are headed to other parts. My own kids are coming home for the week, but I don't know what their plans are. I hope to get to see them at least for a little bit. I know they have lives so I don't expect much, but I'll take what I can get.

I started physical therapy last Monday. That was an assessment visit, and on Friday I did the first "real" therapy where we worked on range of motion, which is not terrible and getting better, and she spent time working on breaking up the adhesions around the two incision sites.

I can say with complete candor that having to endure this was incredibly uncomfortable. And I'll have to do it again at the appointment I have tomorrow.

As I write this I'm watching the Boston Red Sox beat up on the Baltimore Orioles. Boston leads 5-1 coming into the seventh inning stretch.

I'm happy to see baseball again. It is one of those things that I look forward to when spring approaches. Opening day at Fenway Park is a little over a month away and I am looking forward to the season starting. As my employer has the EMS contract there we get to deal with a lot of the stuff that happens. Last year on opening day there was a medical emergency requiring ALS transport before the game even started and I was the only medic available. I was leaving the Newton-Wellesley after having to deal with a multiple casualty car accident. It was actually pretty crazy having to fly down the Massachusetts Turnpike and not get a lot of help from other drivers. But that's how it is sometimes.

As for today, we're back in Eastern Daylight Time in this part of the United States. It's worth losing the hour of sleep for a day to have the extra bit of light at the end of the day. And the days are only going to get longer until the first day of summer. Even after that there will still be extended daylight for quite a while. And that makes me happy as well.

One other thing I can do now is work out again at the gym. For now it's all cardiovascular work until I can do strength training again, probably 8 weeks from now. And I'm going shortly to get a workout in.

posted from Bloggeroid

2 comments:

TOTWTYTR said...

You were in Newton, they were at Fenway. Your ETA was what 15 minutes? They were what, 4 minutes to either of two major Boston teaching hospitals?

And they waited?

I know, it wasn't their decision, it was the genius in charge of the medical station. But really, is it that hard a concept?

Unknown said...

What frosted me is that there were physicians on site. You know the ones I'm talking about, right? It was a DOC that wanted a medic. The funny part? I was the only medic available... The right thing would have been for them to call 911 instead of waiting, but what do I know?