Friday, May 25, 2012

Surgical Intervention

I actually started this post last Friday, but I was interrupted from finishing it. So I will try to do that now.

My mother-in-law had a surgical procedure done while I originally was working on this. She is hoping it will alleviate some issues she has had with infections over the past year or so. Frankly, so am I because it has been difficult to watch her deal with the problems she has had.

I can say that she is much different than my own mother, in terms of her overall health. Where my mom has short-term memory deficits that she can't overcome, my mother-in-law has none of that. She is as sharp as a tack, and it has taken me years to admit it but I actually <i>like</i> talking with her. When I first met her I thought she was a crusty individual, but my opinion of her has changed. She is not nearly as bad as I first had made her out to be; in fact, she has softened in the just over 10 years that I have known her. Her problems are not cognitive; they are physical. And it is just as tough watching her as it is watching my own mom.

So the intervention she had done turned out to be almost exploratory as there wasn't a lot that could be done then. As it is, she will likely have to have more done down the road to take care of the underlying problem she is having, but not right now. Potentially she could be looking at some nasty problems with her health that are more acute, and that will likely override the chronic issue she has been up against. For now, however, we hope that some of the ideas the surgeon has will help her. We'll see.

No comments: