Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Blur

I haven't written an EMS related post in a while.  The title of this post is indicative of the amount of activity I've been around recently.

The past 5 days have been pretty busy both locally and in the Boston area.  Busy enough,  in fact,  that I can't keep track of a lot of what's been going on,  as far as work is concerned. That said,  some highlights include:

-- Three cardiac arrests
-- A rollover where the driver extricated himself and ended up being arrested for DUI. I actually felt a little sorry for this character
-- A car into a house.  The driver was a diabetic and his blood glucose levels were low, causing him to pass out
-- An interesting case of mental status changes.  The patient had both Dementia and Asperger's,  and trying to communicate with him was really challenging.  Turns out he was profoundly septic
-- A city hit.  I don't do many of those;  in fact,  I think I've done three in five years of working in Boston,  and this patient was both sick (dehydration secondary to an infected gall bladder) and stubborn;  he wanted nothing to do with us

These are calls I was involved in.  There were other incidents that I wasn't involved in that I know of that I can't really talk about,  as much as I'd like to.

I have to believe this is indicative of weather changes.  It was extremely hot for a few days.  Meterologists were calling it a heat wave due to the 90-plus degree temperatures over three or four days.  As I write this,  however,  it is much drier and cooler outside.  I am not complaining.  Over the next few days more weather changes are coming. And I wouldn't be surprised if the types and number of calls vary over that time.

We'll see.  And I'll pay more attention so that I can comment about them.

2 comments:

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

It always amazes me how something as simple as a UTI can cause profound mental changes in an elderly person.

TOTWTYTR said...

UTIs and septic shock used to be one of the top non cardiac causes of death in elderly males. I don't know if those stats have changed, but those patients can get septic very quickly.

Walt, I don't have much sympathy for drunk drivers. Very few of them get caught the first time they do it and many are repeat offenders. Especially in MA, which has a reputation of being easy on drunk drivers despite what's written in the law.