Saturday, August 04, 2007

Dog Days

We've had a few of them up here this past week..... Multiple days with temperatures above 90 degrees F. Our management at work has allowed us to go to T-shirts over a number of day shifts simply because it has been too hot. There are rules that apply to T-shirt wear, though. First, it has to be a navy blue RRA-marked shirt. Second, it has to be clean and serviceable. Third, if you can't meet either of the above requirements, then you have to be in full uniform. No exceptions. Fortunately for me I own many T's, so it's not a problem, and I usually pack a spare if I think I'm going to need it (and I usually do).

Right now it is 88 degrees on my deck (at 5:45PM EDT), and I am eyeing the pool with great lust. Last weather forecast I caught said it is supposed to dry down but still stay warm. I would look forward to the lowering of the humidity....

A lot of discussion everywhere about the bridge collapse in Minneapolis.... What can you say? It's a terribly tragedy - all of those people that have not been recovered yet. I can't imagine the effort that has gone into the recovery. My prayers go out to all of the families involved in one way or another.

Many of you may not be familiar with Tommy Makem. He had been in the local music scene for the better part of the past 40 years. At one time he performed with the Clancy Brothers, Tom, Pat, and Liam - Liam is the only one living. Tommy passed away this past Wednesday of lung cancer. He was 74 years old.

I got to see him perform a number of times, the last was probably 4 years ago. He had the Makem and Spain Brothers with him - the Makems are his 3 (?) sons and they and the Spains have a terrific Celtic band. It was an awesome show; they ended the concert with "Four Green Fields", a song Tommy wrote in 1969 about a woman whose sons fought and died to save her "jewels", the Four Green Fields she had. It is a metaphor about modern Ireland, and every time I hear the song I think of the love Tommy obviously had for his homeland.

I pulled the following from YouTube. It is a beautiful tribute to someone was loved by many, and will be missed by them as well.






Tommy Makem
Native of County Armagh, Ireland
Resident of Dover, NH
United States Citizen
November 4, 1932 - August 1, 2007
"May God hold you in the palm of His hand."

No comments: