Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Hanging Out

I discovered I had to fix a problem with the URL to my wife's blog. It is now working properly. If I didn't fix it, I would never hear the end of it.....

Simply counting the days until warm weather returns. I know that ultimately it will warm up again, but it is excruciating to have to put up with these temperature swings. Plus, when the snow is finally all gone, the ground will turn in to one big bog of mud. The good news is that mud season is temporary. But then the mosquitoes and black flies show up. And it goes on.

Slow work day yesterday, at least until the end of shift when, right before we were supposed to get off we got yanked into the city rotation. Bear in mind that Tuesday's are the day I work on a transfer truck, and we do get pulled into the rotation now and again. It's just a pain in the ass when it happens right before the end of the day, which means you get held over. The other complication I have to deal with is that I work in G-Town on Tuesday night, so you can imagine the stress getting stuck creates. In any case, we immediately got called out to one of our frequent fliers, a 27 year-old female who has a considerable history of mental illness. Yet again, she cut herself - superficially on the inside of her right forearm. I have lost count of the number of times she has done this, and I have also lost count of all of the times we've transported her and she has either left the hospital AMA (means "against medical advice") or has been booted for being disruptive in the waiting room and then called 911 to go back to the hospital once she's gotten home. I wouldn't be surprised if that is precisely what happened again, but I don't know that for certain. In any case, Matt, the EMT-I that I was working with, was awesome - he handled her quite appropriately on the way to the ED. We got her into triage (again), he handled the documentation, I got the truck back in order, and we got back in enough time that I was able to get out and go to G-Town an actually be on time.

In the course of getting yanked into the city, I got into a mini shouting match with one of our dispatchers. When she called for us over the company's radios, I answered, but she apparently didn't hear me as she hailed us three times, and I answered three times. Once she got me, she started yelling at me over the air saying that I didn't identify myself when I answered and to do so. I got pissed off and yelled back at her - in front of the folks in the station, which happened to include a supervisor. I talked with him briefly when I got back from the call, and he recommended that I talk with the Operations manager about it. I'm not sure I want to do that, mostly because I'm afraid I'll lose my temper again, and I don't want to do that. But I really should as what she did was quite inappropriate. So I need to think about it further.

Back to work tonight - I wonder what sorts of delights the tour will hold? On the other hand, do I really want to know?


No comments: