Monday, July 07, 2008

Humidity

It's really sticky up here today. Temps are in the high 80's but the relative humidity makes it feel 10 degrees hotter. If the temperature hits 90 I'll be able to go into a T-shirt (I forgot to mention that I'm working in Manchester today) but it doesn't look promising.....

Yesterday I got a lot done in the house. The list of chores included cleaning shelving in the kitchen and the laundry room (I had no idea how difficult it is to remove contact paper) and - get this - repairing the toilet in the spare bathroom. I had to replace the inside of the tank as we were having trouble with it not filling completely and leaking. It wasn't hard, but it was a bit of a dirty job. I was able to get it done pretty fast; it took only about a half-hour to actually get all of the old stuff out and the new stuff in. Testing it was fun as I initially forgot to secure the float and it went flying across the bathroom when the water level topped out. That got fixed right quick....

We're getting there, a step at a time. I expect that we'll have a good amount of stuff done by the end of the week. We still have to get the kitchen fully unpacked, plus we have a few improvements and repairs to make in both bathrooms as well as unscrew the garage as it gets emptied.

As I said, it will get better over time.

One of the other jobs I have to do is to move some electrical wiring in the kitchen. We have lighting under the cabinetry which illuminates the counter where the sink is. The actual wiring for the switch is in the bottom of the cabinets, which makes it difficult to put things on the bottom shelf. The fix is to re-wire it so it is actually under the cabinet secured instead of inside the cabinet. I think all that will need to be done is to use tie wraps to actually keep it all together and make it neat then screw the tie wraps to the back underside of the cabinet. That should work pretty effectively - the switch will still be accessible and the cabinet space will be more available for storage.

It's a cool house. I think I've mentioned before that it has a very "retro" feel to the inside. It was built in 1957 and much of what is inside is original. The siding is brick, and the insulation is very tight as are the windows. I think we'll actually be okay in terms of heating as long as we're really careful. And I'll make sure we are, just because I don't want to be in debt to our oil provider. I know that is easier said than done, but I'll do my best to ensure that we don't run into trouble.

Tonight we'll be doing more work, and I have tomorrow during the day off so I'll be able to get some more done then as well.

More later.

No comments: