Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Illness and Work

Nothing like having to work when you're sick.

I'd been feeling rather unwell over the past few days. Yesterday (Monday, actually) it sort of came to a head as I couldn't get out of my own way. I'd been nauseous and fatigued, plus I had this nagging pain in the lower rifght quadrant of my abdomen. Not a good thing, I think.... My wife assessed me (a good and bad thing about being married to an RN) and she put the question to me that if I were the one providing care what would I recommend to the patient in this situation. Well, she had me there.... Anyway, she took me to the emergency room (actually to Urgent care rather than the ED) where I had a complete set of labs drawn, I gave up a urine sample, and I had an abdominal CT done. Turns out the problem isn't my appendix - thank goodness for that. However, I do have an infected kidney (pyelonephritis) which has spread to my bladder and my urinary tract. Between my elevated white cell count and the presence of nitrates in my urine, this is the consensus. So I'm on Cipro for the next 8 1/2 days and I have to follow up with my primary doc. Fortunately, it works fast. I actually feel better, but I know the rules regarding anti-biotics. I don't need to become resistant - that is certain....

Today I rode in Everett (again). I have one more shift in Everett and one in Malden before the FTO's release me to the scheduler. Hopefully it will happen on time. The special of the day was assaults. Two of them first thing, one was a 27 year-old male who got stomped the night before and woke up with a headache, vomiting, and an altered mental status. The other was a 44 year-old female who got the boogers kicked out of her by her ex-husband - he showed up at her house and found her in bed with her current boyfriend. He then proceeded to lose his mind. I don't understand why; if they're divorced, he has no rights to her, so what would he stand to gain by beating her senseless? She had facial injuries and a possible broken jaw. I don't know where the ex was, but I presume he was taken to jail before we arrived.

All in all, I'm finding the Cataldo culture not too much different from the Rockingham culture. There are some things - Cataldo uses system status management to utilize resources more effectively. RRA doesn't as much, except in Manchester where it's enforced by Fire Alarm. I think some of the other differences perhaps have to do with things that are state-specific. I'll talk about that another time.

I think I have to try to get some sleep. I arrived at Goffstown Fire a little over an hour ago, and I have an opportunity to get about 4 hours in before it starts all over again. So it's off to the sandman.....

2 comments:

AlexD said...

Walt,

EMS will be here long after we are gone. I too worked when I was sick and almost died. I have a 17 inch abdominal scar along with an ileostomy "dash" on the right side. I enjoy your post, they are like watching a pro go at it every day. But I have lost too many friends due to death and disability secondary to ambulance exposure. I heed to you take care of yourself. Paramedics are mortal.

Alex D

http://theapocalypsepapers.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Don't worry, my friend. The train will be starting to slow down as of next Thursday. But I truly appreciate your concern, and there are others who worry about me that share your view.

I'm definitely going to heed it because I am starting to get tired. I just have to get myself out of the commitments hole I dug....