Monday, August 04, 2008

In The Middle Of It

I'm a little crazed.

This past Saturday the field supervisor out of Somerville tried to send me up into Atlantic land again! That sort of broke the camel's back - I wrote to our division manager and told him what was going on. He was rather displeased and contacted the supervisor about it. Long story short, I didn't end up going to Peabody - my partner did. But he did make a directive telling scheduling and the supervisors not to pull anyone out of Boston to go elsewhere unless he approves it.

It's a step in the right direction, and I hope it works.

I asked him if I'd been singled out by someone because I'm a relatively new employee. He assured me that this wasn't the case. However, I'm not so sure there isn't some element of truth to this. All I know is that it costs me a lot of money to have to drive my own vehicle to where I've been sent. Not to mention that being notified that I'm going to another site after the shift starts is extremely difficult to deal with. It messes up the whole rhythm of the shift, and it is really hard to get settled in a location that isn't familiar.

I'm going to keep an eye on this situation. If it continues or escalates, I don't know what I'll do.

The 3 Day is coming up in just over a week. My wife and I have been making some of the rest of the preparations for this adventure, and we are both starting to get psyched up for everything. We've also been sharing information from the team she walks with and I information from the medical team. There is going to be a lot happening while we're there. And we as a team will be supporting not just her but every other walker that is participating. I probably won't need to bring a lot of my own medical gear - I don't think I'll need more than a stethescope, a flashlight, and a pair of trauma shears - as I expect there will be a lot of equipment handy for use by the team. I've been assigned to the camp team, which means I'll be in camp for the early morning (6:00-8:00AM before everyone heads out) and at the end of the day (2:00-9:00PM) with the likelihood of picking up call on one of the two overnights. I don't know that with any certainty yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. I also looked at the medical team roster (based on the list of e-mail addresses) and there are approximately 50 people on the team with an approximate ratio of 10:1 women to men. Not surprising - after all, this event is geared more towards women than to men. But I will have to really behave myself, I think. That could be a challenge.....

It is shaping up to be a rather interesting week up until now. More as things happen.


HJSLT said...

Challenge? In my experience, you've always been a perfect gentleman, darn it all!! LOL.


manchmedic said...