Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Start of Snow

It was only a matter of time before I would sit down to write this post.

Today we got our first snowfall. Supposedly it is to turn to rain over the next 6-12 hours. I have no problem with that, but seeing that it is that time of year we now have to shop for a snowblower. I can hardly wait....

Yesterday my mother and one of my sisters celebrated with us two days after the fact. My kids we with us as well, and it was a reasonably decent afternoon. I have to admit that I get annoyed with my sister, as she gives my mother a hard time pretty regularly. She treats my Mom as though she is doddering. That isn't true; my Mom has health problems, plus she will be 77 years old on December 22. She's entitled, by virtue of her age, to have her moments, and she does; she has occasional memory lapses, and her physical abilities are diminished, notably by loss of upper body strength. But she is hardly doddering.

Currently reading David McCullough's biography of John Adams. It's a fairly big book, but I am really impressed with McCullough's way of narration. It's more like story-telling in the third person and it makes reading this book quite enjoyable.

In my mind, while this is a biography, it is much more: historical narrative, love story, adventure (yes - definitely an adventure). Mostly, though, I see it as a treatise of ideas which, to this day, are noble. The principles by which our nation was founded are based on the ideas of men like John Adams and others, like Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, and Thomas Paine. And personally, I believe it would do our current leadership good to look at those ideas and principles. It would be an excellent exercise in "grounding" these folks - making them understand what our nation is all about, if they don't already know.

It's a funny thing; I have always been an avid reader. Up until I was injured it was always difficult to find time to read, but over the past couple of months I've been able to find time, and I've been able to read a lot more than usual. That is good; perhaps I can find time to read more when I do go back to work. Since I'm still looking at considerable time putting myself back together, I'm pretty certain I'll still have time to pursue the books I like so much.

Back to the snow. As I said, this is supposed to turn to rain. Looking at the forecast, we're looking at temperatures above 50 degrees tomorrow, so any snow on the ground should disappear by tomorrow. That won't break my heart in the least. When the snow does finally stick, I have a different vantage point than in the past because of where my house is located. There is considerable road traffic outside, plus there is construction across the street in a lot perpendicular to my house. I believe a pharmacy is being built and possibly another business considering the size of the parking lot. But we'll have to wait and see what the product of this construction is.

Time to look out the window some more.


No comments: