Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Long, Bad Day

At 9:30AM? I'm kidding, right?

Negative. I have been awake now since about 6:15 yesterday morning, thanks to a reaction to Cipro. Between the inability to sleep (a documented side effect) and a heart rate of about 130 from just after midnight until about 5:30 this morning (my wife chastised me for not waking her up), plus a dump-load of dependent edema that I can't treat unless I put my leg up above my head, I'm not having a good day. And it's been going on 27 hours now with no end in sight..... The good news is that my heart rate has resolved; I'm good with that.

It got my attention so much that I called the wound clinic and spoke with the good doc (on the first try, no less). He told me to stop the Cipro (I've had 3 doses so far) and get off of my leg. We'll continue the Silver Gel and Ethizyne (I have no clue how to spell it, and I think I've done that 2 or 3 different ways by now) and I will watch to see if I have a significant increase in the edema and an onset of fever and chills. The Silver Gel actually will take care of the colonized bacteria; I read up on its properties and it is actually potent stuff. And stopping the Cipro is wise; I don't want to develop anaphylactic signs and symptoms. Not now.

Once I post this I am off to see the Orthopedic surgeon. We'll see if we can get me out of this leg brace once and for all. I expect that to happen. If it doesn't, someone's going to be really unhappy.....

No comments: