Friday, January 23, 2009

Another Passing

I didn't know Br. Thomas personally, only by reputation. His talents as an artist were the stuff of legend; he designed and crafted the font that sits in the Narthex of the Abbey Church. It is a beautiful object, one that is in keeping with the rest of the building's motif - if you ever have reason to go into that church building, you will understand what I mean. He also was a talented operatic vocalist, having sung at Carnegie Hall in the mid-1960's before finding his monastic vocation.

The thing I remember about him most is his speaking voice. It was quite distinct. He spoke with a resonance that reflected his operatic voice training, and he used that voice effectively whenever it was his turn to be the Lector at the monastery's conventual Mass. He was also a tall man, and his appearance could be somewhat imposing. But people that knew him spoke of his gentle manner - I think that happens a lot when we form a first impression of someone we don't know, only to find we are completely wrong. I can say that I have been guilty of that myself, and I would wish the forgiveness of those who I have done this to....

He will be missed by his brothers in the monastic community.



Br. Thomas Francis Laur, OSB
Monk of St. Anselm Abbey
June 11, 1928 - January 21, 2009

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord
And let perpetual light shine upon him.
May he rest in peace.
Amen

1 comment:

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Rest in Peace......