Saturday, January 24, 2009

Finally - Some Forward Progress

Well - it's about time that I can say something good about the ongoing odyssey.

Since I had my first visit with the new wound guy, I definitely can tell that things are starting to work in my favor. First and foremost: my pain level is nearly gone. I'm down to about a 1/10 or less most of the time now, due to my wearing the Birkenstocks. No pressure on the back of my foot, therefore no pressure on the wound. A great formula. The best part? No pain medication. My stomach likes that.

Now why didn't the doc I saw first think of these things?

The topical ointment I've been putting on the wound is also doing its job. The tissue is a healthy red with no yellow film on top of it. And if my eyes aren't deceiving me, I think I detected a hint of epithelium moving inward. I don't know; perhaps that is wishful thinking on my part, but it sure looks like there is something happening that is potentially positive. Plus, I've been on Bactrim for the past 5 days with 2 more to go. Overall, the area around the wound isn't the angry, warm surface that refuses to cooperate that it had been. It is much more pink than red, and it is much less warm to touch.

But the best part is that I'm actually starting to regain my gait. It's a little slow, but I'm finding that it is really not painful to walk and flex my foot. Sure, there is still a bit of a shuffle, but it's much better. And this is over 4 days....

I am hopeful. However, the one thing that hasn't changed (and is really starting to make its presence known in a huge way) is the atrophy of my calf muscles. I definitely can tell that I don't have the strength that I once had as the muscles do get tired. When that happens, I especially become aware because I start to shift my weight onto my right hip when I step. That was happening when I was in the brace, and it isn't a good thing to have to manage.

But overall, I am pleased. My attitude and outlook are starting to improve, and I am happy about that. Maybe the ortho guy will sign off on rehab after all. We'll see.


1 comment:

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Excellent news, Walt !
My prayers for your quick return to full health.