Monday, January 19, 2009

Frozen Monday

There is some sort of fir tree about 200 feet away from my house that I can see out the window. Its branches are covered with snow; many of them are bent from the weight. The trunk is not bent - the tree itself is standing tall.

So it is that this part of the world is fully engaged in the ways of winter. From my viewpoint snow covers almost everything, and the air is crisp and cold. We're told by the weather professionals we listen to that we're to see more snowfall today, plus for some of us the Arthritis index is listed as "extreme." I can tell that this is an accurate prediction by the soreness and swelling that is ever-present in the parts of my body that have been injured. My left shoulder and ankle as well as 6 of my fingers are all complaining, and other than managing the discomfort with some Advil, there isn't a great deal I can do about it.

So much for any hope of a January thaw.

On another note.... Today is not only my oldest child's birthday (he is now officially 19 - Happy Birthday, Jonathan), but it is also Martin Luther King day. Now, I don't have to say much about Dr. King, as I believe most of us are aware of the changes that happened because of the things he did and the influence he had on our society. I believe the point of the day is to take a minute and remember that, as he is one of those people in our history that really did make a difference.

No comments: