Saturday, April 25, 2009

Brilliance

As I sit here writing this I am reveling in the incredible warmth and sunlight that our part of the world is experiencing right now. It is absolutely stunning outside, and I am so happy to finally see it. I’m looking at some trees one of my neighbors has in their yard across the street from me. They are starting to show the beginnings of leaves, and I’m thinking it won’t be long before the leaves are out in their entirety. Provided this wonderful weather sticks around for a while, of course.

I had to take some Benadryl last night. Didn’t expect to, but it was necessary. After Greg’s memorial service, his family hosted a reception at one of the local restaurants up here. Martha and I went, and while we were there we ate. Much to my surprise something I ate while we were there had seafood, specifically shrimp and scallops. I had a mild reaction to it – no airway trouble, but I stated to itch within 10-15 minutes. Martha felt terrible; considering she’s the “food police” whenever we go out anywhere and she got whatever it was I ate (I think it was like a mini quiche or something like that) she thinks it was her fault. Not so; she didn’t know, and I ate it without thinking. And it wasn’t a real problem this time around. I just took the Benadryl (I took 50mg) and slept until about 12:30 this afternoon. A side benefit is that my sinuses are incredibly clear right now. I’ll certainly enjoy that.

I took a look at the graft site when I got dressed. It looks pretty good; the sutures have dissolved. There is a little bit of dried blood around the margins, but no active bleeding or discharge at all. No pain around the site. My Achilles is tight, but that’s because I haven’t been using it for the past couple of weeks. I’m optimistic that when I see Dr. Driscoll on Tuesday he’ll turn me loose to start walking. At least I hope he does.

I’m getting stronger each day, and I expect that I should be fully ready to go in the next couple of weeks. At least I hope so; I am starting to feel pretty impatient about my activity level, and I really want to go back to the gym in the worst way. It’s going to be a slow process of getting back into shape, and I know that, but I’ll do what I have to. Certainly I won’t hurt myself, but I will do what I have to so that I can work safely. That means getting back into reasonable physical condition.

It’s time to deal with the remains of the Benadryl. And enjoy some sunlight. Maybe get a good dose of Vitamin D or something.....

No comments: