Thursday, May 07, 2009

America

I have never been a big fan of Simon and Garfunkel.

In fact, for some reason I never really liked the majority of their music. I don’t know why. However, as with many things, there are exceptions that can be made. Usually, in fact, this turns out to be the case.

This is from a “Letterman” show originally broadcast in 2006. It is one of the few Simon and Garfunkel songs I truly like. For some reason I found this performance both powerful and moving.

"Let us be lovers we'll marry our fortunes together."
"I've got some real estate here in my bag."
So we bought a pack of cigarettes and Mrs. Wagner pies
And we walked off to look for America

 
"Kathy," I said as we boarded a Greyhound in Pittsburgh
"Michigan seems like a dream to me now"
It took me four days to hitchhike from Saginaw
I've gone to look for America


Laughing on the bus
Playing games with the faces
She said the man in the gabardine suit was a spy
I said "Be careful his bowtie is really a camera"

 
"Toss me a cigarette, I think there's one in my raincoat"
"We smoked the last one an hour ago"
So I looked at the scenery, she read her magazine
And the moon rose over an open field

 
"Kathy, I'm lost," I said, though I knew she was sleeping
I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
They've all gone to look for America

{All gone to look for America
All gone to look for America}

-- Music and Lyrics by Paul Simon 


2 comments:

Karen Brook said...

Nice...both posts about something more intimately involved than Partnership on solely a collegial level. Ah...it's just before Mother's Day and heading toward your Anniversary not too far away! Wonderful memory of how good relationships become forged into really strong, trusting, loving ones (the "Partners" post above), then a different facet of it in the Simon and Garfunkel tune. Altogether thorougly nice tribute to your relationship with Martha.
Thanks for sharing something so special :-)

Rogue Medic said...

I've always like Simon and Garfunkel, but some of their more popular songs don't work for me.