Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Two Posts In One

I can’t believe I feel as tired as I do.

I have to wonder if part of the reason for my fatigue is the oppressive humidity we’re dealing with up here. It isn’t terribly warm (temps are in the mid-70’s) but the air is incredibly moist and it does make breathing a little more work than usual. Additionally, the stacked days I’ve been working have caught up to me; I have no ambition to do much of anything right now.

Yesterday was rather eventful. After I got out of work Martha and I went to church where it was “Music Sunday”, the last Sunday before summer where the choir is present during the service. As I’ve been singing with the choir since before Christmas, it followed on that I would be here for this service as well.

It was definitely worth being there as the choir sounded incredible. From where I was seated I could hear everything – all of the voices. Without a doubt it was probably one of the best experiences I’ve had as a member of a choir or chorale.

-----

Well – it is a day later. I actually started working on this yesterday afternoon but I got distracted. My son and his girlfriend came over so I visited with them. When Ellen (Jon’s girlfriend) had to go to work, he brought her to her job then came back and had dinner with us.

Always is nice to spend time with any of the kids, regardless.

Today I feel better than I did yesterday. I was sore all over then. Better now – still a little bit of discomfort, especially with my back. But there is always Advil or Aleve – either one seems to help lessen the ache some. I just took 800mg of Advil, so I should be feeling less bent over pretty soon.

I realized recently that I haven’t talked about work or calls for quite some time.  When I originally started writing this blog, that was my intent: to talk about work and the day-to-day life of an EMS provider. Over the past year or so, however, it seems I’ve strayed from that to a certain extent. This wasn’t intentional, but circumstances sort of took hold and re-molded the character of this work. What’s even more remarkable about this is that I haven’t missed not talking about work or about patients.

This isn’t necessarily a bad thing. In fact, I think it has made the quality of this blog somewhat richer. Maybe I’m imagining that, but I don’t think so. On the other hand, I do miss talking about work. So – I guess what I am saying is that I’m going to make the effort to get back to talking more about what happens with patients and outcomes. Privacy rules still apply, of course, and they always will with regard to this aspect of my writing. I won’t ever intentionally violate HIPAA laws, and I won’t compromise the privacy or safety of any patient I come in contact with. I haven’t up to now and I have no plans of starting.

So I guess I’ll take today and deal with more of this soggy, muggy weather we’re stuck with. Hopefully it will start to dry out soon. I’m at the point where I’ve about had enough of it, like many of my neighbors.

Oh summer, where fore art thou?

No comments: