Monday, March 15, 2010

Walking Instead Of Working

Well, I did it this time.

Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure

 

I’m walking at the Komen 3-Day this summer. Martha decided that she wanted to walk this year and she talked me into doing it with her.

For those of you not familiar with the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer 3-day, it is a huge event, held in 14 cities across the United States between the end of July and the end of November. Three years ago was Martha’s and my first year involved with this event; she walked and I worked as a member of the medical crew. Last year we both worked on the medical crew. This year we’re both walking.

Not only am I walking, but I’m also training. We started about two weeks ago. It involves walking 60 miles over a three-day weekend. And it is a much bigger deal than you would think.

Martha has been a member of the Granite Angels. They are an incredible team of people who walk together for this cause. There are lots of teams that walk, but the Angels are local. Since Martha is one of them, she encouraged me to join as well. Many of the women who walk have husbands or boyfriends who are also part of the team in a support role. If they take me on, I will be the only male walker.

In addition to training to walk, participants are required to fundraise. I’m working on that, too; I need to raise $2900.00 between now and the walk, which is July 23-25. So part of this post is the beginning of an appeal for funds.

Over the next few days I will be putting a widget up on the sidebar of this blog. These posts get fed to my account on Facebook where I have a badge on my profile page. Bear in mind that I’m not looking for huge donations; if each of you who reads this post – at either location – and is willing to donate as little as $5.00 to my effort, I can have this done in no time.

If you can help, I would really appreciate it. So would Martha. And so would all of the people that we’re doing this for.

There will be more to follow.

No comments: