Wednesday, March 10, 2010

No Racing At The Rock

Not this coming summer, anyway… Rockingham Park is not going to have any live harness racing for the 2010 summer season.

I’m sad about that. This would have been my eighth season working on the EMS crew there. And there are a lot of people I will miss.

The reason is because the NH Legislature voted not to fund regulation or enforcement of live racing in the 2009 session. And for Rockingham Park to pay for it would cost in excess of $500,000.00.

Who can afford that?

So – approximately 100 people – including myself – will be out of jobs this summer. And it’s not even that I really need the work; I don’t. There are other people who do, though, and those are the folks I feel badly for. But for me it had always been enjoyable. Between watching the racing and the people as well as dealing with the issues that would always inevitably come up it made for a really fun job. And I had good people working for me when I had the job of crew chief the last two seasons.

I will miss it, and I really hope the state can get it together in 2011. But I’m not going to hold my breath.

No comments: