Thursday, April 29, 2010

An “Alternate Anthem”

Those of you that have been following this blog for any length of time have seen the, for lack of better word, variety of music that I’ve posted up here. Some of it has been of high quality. Others, not so much. If I’ve accomplished nothing else by this it has hopefully been to surprise, to entertain, and hopefully to sometimes enlighten. I hope I can maybe do some of that…

Kansas is one of those ‘70’s-80’s bands that, in my view, was highly underrated in terms of the quality of the music they produced. Back in the late 1970’s they did a live album entitled “Two For The Show”, and on it were a number of songs that were simply incredible. I’ve heard people use the phrase “alternate anthem” to describe this song, and while I’m not sure I’d go that far, it is an incredible piece of music just the same. And the song in the video below was the first track on the album. Without question it is one of my favorite songs.

This concert was performed in Trenton, New Jersey in October 2009. I found it while I was noodling around and thought it was a worthwhile performance. Considering they were using a symphony orchestra as a sort of sixth band member, I definitely thought it was a keeper.

No comments: