As I write this I’m looking outside from the Station 3 crew room. I’ve been in and out today as it’s been moderately busy, but the weather has definitely been worth writing about. Approximately 75 degrees outside with bright sun and dry air.
The dry air is a big deal considering how much rain we had last week. Many places were under flood warnings for the third time since mid-February, and there has been substantial water damage south of here, mainly in Rhode Island. Lots of high water, especially in the Cranston area.
It is the second day of the Easter Triduum – Holy Saturday. This year I’ve had a hard time keeping up because of the work schedule I keep. It’s not an excuse, but it is a fact I have to deal with. I would have liked to have kept it more closely this year than I did, and as I see it, in the words of Henri Nouwen, I can always begin again.
At least I can try to. Not easy, though.
It has been a rather interesting work day so far. Three calls with a total of seven patients. One, unfortunately, was not viable; downtime of at least one hour when we got to him, plus a DNR order was in effect. And we had five patient refusals at a four-car motor vehicle accident. What was really funny with this one was that I knew one of the people involved – a doctor who is affiliated with the Boston Medical Center. Internal Medicine guy. It was good to see him even if it was under weird circumstances.
I should be writing a lab report. Instead I’m hanging out, goofing off, and writing this post. I figure the lab report can wait one more day, maybe two, and I can get the other class-related work I have hanging out there done this week.
I don’t know if I’ve mentioned the issues I’m having with the state of New Hampshire as far as my EMS license is concerned, but I at least have a little bit of breathing room now to get them resolved. If I haven’t mentioned it, New Hampshire won’t accept the refresher I took in Massachusetts last summer without a lot of additional documentation. I’m working on getting that documentation, but my problem was the amount of notice I was given. It wasn’t enough, plus it was done in such a way that I was put in a real bind. The chief of the EMS Bureau heard from me about the problem as well as my complaint about how I was notified, and she was willing to work with me on the time problem. My license is extended for 30 days so that I can get it all done. I really don’t want to wait, though; I can’t. So I’m going to spend some time this week getting the parts in place to fix the issue. It will likely involve phone calls and travel, but I’ll do what I have to. I certainly can’t afford not to get this wrong.
So to that end, I won’t.
And have a Happy Easter.