Monday, July 12, 2010

Ain’t Technology Grand?

I’ve been in a bit of a funk this past week. Mostly, I suspect, this is because of the intense heat and humidity we’ve had over the past 10 days with no real relief in sight. This will be interesting if it continues into the tail end of next week as the Susan G. Komen walk is going from Thursday, July 22 through Sunday, July 26. I hope it isn’t as hot and humid then as it is now.

I recently replaced my cell phone – from a Blackberry to a Droid Eris by HTC. Both of these devices have a lot of capabilities, but I’m finding the the Droid is considerably more feature-rich than the Blackberry. That’s a fairly strong statement, but for my uses I’m finding that I really like the Droid much more. It’s powerful, plus there are a lot of applications for it that I’ve been playing with.  And it runs what is known as the Android Operating System, specifically intended for small, low-powered devices like smart phones. But I’ve been following development of tablet computers running Android specifically designed to compete with the Apple iPad. When they become commercially available I am planning to acquire one. There are some devices out now that do this, but they are over-priced and under-powered, and I simply can’t justify the expense.

At some point, however, i expect that devices like this will become not only more mainstream, but also considerably less expensive and reliable.  I truly believe it is only a matter of time.

No comments: