Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Abusive Behavior

How would you feel if that happened to you? More importantly, how would you respond?

I read this story a little while ago, and it made me sad, angry, and sick. If the crew on board this ambulance did what was reported, then they should be disciplined, at the very least. Sanctioning the crew members (“sanctioning” is a politically correct term for firing or terminating), in my opinion, wouldn’t be out of the question.

If there is more to the story I would love to hear it or read it.

Probably the thing that angers me the most is that the patient’s wife is a nurse practitioner with a boatload of clinical experience. Now I know what many EMS providers say about nurses – I’m sure I’ve said many of the same things myself – but this is one of those situations where even though measures were being taken, supposedly, to resuscitate her husband, she should have been given the opportunity to be with him. As it is, the report says she was doing compressions on her husband in front of the EMS crew!

As far as I’m concerned, it falls under the heading of abuse and neglect, at the very least. I think I’d want a piece of each member of the EMS crew, if it were my spouse being treated that way.

My opinion, of course…

No comments: