Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sitting Tight

I'm sitting in a hospital room as I write this, watching Martha sleep, or try to. She was taken by surprise a couple of days ago by a migraine. It's the first one she's had in close to 3 years, and so far no success in trying to wrestle it down.

I brought her to the emergency room yesterday after almost 2 full days of her trying to manage it at home with no luck. Treatment in the ED went nowhere, and she was admitted as an in-patient at 6:30 this morning, 16 hours after arriving. Since she's been up here, she's been seen by a hospitalist - one of the docs that sees in-patients - she's gotten medication for nausea and pain (with more of the same result), and supposedly neurology is coming to do a consult. From what I'm seeing, the nursing staff up here are really busy but they are doing their best, and Martha actually appears to be asleep. That is good, considering she hasn't gotten a lot of rest since Monday.

I remember one other time this happened probably close to 10 years ago. Same circumstances, except it was a different hospital. The care was about the same but she was a lot sicker. I was terrified then. Not so much now, but still worried.

I have a feeling she will be here again tonight, but I don't know that for certain. At least she's reasonably well hydrated now as the doc ordered her IV fluids stopped. Now she's got to continue to drink as best she can. I'll work on that. Depending on what time neuro gets here will determine whether or not I go to work tomorrow. Plus we're supposed to get thumped with snow. I will believe that when I see it.

For now, we wait and see what will happen next. And I'll continue to watch Martha sleep.

1 comment:

TOTWTYTR said...

I hope she feels better soon. I've never had migraines, but the Mrs. does and they are pretty bad.