Monday, March 17, 2014

The Night Shift

About six weeks ago I started working in the Emergency Department at one of our hospitals. I work up front, greeting patients and doing the first step of triage. In a nutshell, that is the core of the job. It is not that difficult, but the key skill someone in this position has to have is the ability to discern who is really sick and needs immediate care as opposed to those who can wait. Most of the time it isn't difficult. Sometimes it is; it depends on the volume and the circumstances.

Most of my scheduled shifts are overnight, from 10PM to 8AM. Occasionally, however, I'll pick up other shifts as well. I work approximately 24 hours a week in this job. I find that between this, my job in Boston, and my shifts with the Fire Department keep me plenty busy.

Right now I am sitting in the greeter chair. I've been here for a couple of hours and it has been a little bit busy. We see mostly minor stuff, but as I said, it can get hairy from time to time. The last tour I worked here had that quality, especially near the end. We'll see what happens here as the night progresses.

I am back here tomorrow, eight hours after this tour ends, but only for six hours instead of ten. That will give me enough time to get some breakfast, take a nap, and do it all again. The good thing is that it is not sixteen hours in a row; I did that yesterday.

It is hard to believe that it is nearly Spring because it is so cold outside. I know the weather will change and start to warm up. Right now it is a waiting game; what I suspect will happen, and always seems to, is that the change of season will occur in the blink of an eye. And people will complain about Summer showing up out of nowhere. But I expect no less.

At the moment I have nothing to pontificate about. But give me time; I will come up with something.

No comments: