Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Images

Statue of St. Benedict of Nursia
Photo by W. Trachim 

I have always liked photography. There is something to be said about artistry when talking about photographs as opposed to painting, writing, music, or any other artistic medium. I have never, ever considered myself an artist of any sort, even when I was working as a musician. And while many people would say that music is indeed an artistic medium (I would never argue that point, by the way), I think I've always considered music to be more technical. And I suspect I have this view because I have always believed that numbers and music are intimately intertwined.

Photography is a whole other matter. And I don't know how to describe it. Maybe it's because there are no numbers involved. I think it's all about what you see. Interpretation. Viewpoint. Those things that make how you translate a picture into words.

Martha gave me a camera for Christmas. A Canon EOS Rebel. Plus a 300mm zoom lens in addition to the standard 35mm lens that came with the camera. I really think that this is one of the best gifts I've been given. It has given me the ability to look at things from a different perspective. And I have only just started playing with it.

Some of the photographs I have taken over the past few days are on social media. I'm putting some of them here as well. I know I'm not unique, as far as taking photos, A number of my friends are phenomenal photographers, in fact. Those folks are incredibly good at it. I'm just getting started. It's funny; I feel like I graduated from a smartphone. It's not to say I won't use my phone to take photos anymore, but I can definitely tell the difference.

Jasmine and Belle
Photo by W. Trachim
California Pine Cones and a Coloring Book
Photo by W. Trachim
I think I will be putting more of these up as I go on. Let's see if I can get better at this over time.

2 comments:

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

You will have a lot of fun experimenting with your camera in 2015!

Unknown said...

Great pictures Walt! Perhaps you will consider visiting RI for a few seaside shots!